Monday, November 30, 2009

Navedad para extranjeros

thanksgiving done right... in Spain
I don't quite know what it was that made me buy a one-way ticket to Italy for December the 30th, but this is a done deal. Definitely no turning back now. My Italian roommate told me to give him a call when I was there, and to stop by his house for dinner and drinks. I will be flying into Milan because it was cheaper there. I have no plans from there on. My friends Mary and Collin from Oviedo sparked the idea, and I jumped on the train as fast as a middle schooler starts wearing Jncos, or perhaps Lee Pipes. That is, if you were cool like my sister (not cool).

My friend Sonia in Madrid will be celebrating a birthday and since I fly out of the capital, I plan to arrive early to do it up real big in Spain before dippin' out to pasta town. I plan to travel for about 2 weeks, and will go where the wind takes me. If I happen to step out of Italy for a bit, so be it.

I had a second Thanksgiving. Some friends around the block began to whet my appetite by using our oven to make a pumpkin pie, and then invited me to their Thanksgiving party. This party beat the piss out of the party at my apartment, and was seriously legit. There was an entire turkey, dressing, deviled eggs, sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie, mashed potatoes and last, but not least, green beans. The crowd was mixed, but was heavily outweighed by middle-aged Spanish teachers, which was awesome. They were all funny and quirky, drinkers and smokers, and interesting to talk to. At around 12 am the neighbors began banging on every surface they could find to get us to shut up, but we were relentless. The majority of apartments here have paper-thin walls and the majority of the people renting this majority are old people, so they enjoy banging on walls like crazy people between the hours of 12 and 6 am if you happen to be enjoying yourself at a reasonably loud volume. Ridic.

Thanksgiving round 2 rocked.

No comments: