Thursday, November 12, 2009

in cars


I drove a car in Spain two days ago. For some reason, after I called shotgun and then played a joke calling driver when a fellow teacher said they'd give me a ride home, the teacher asked me if I wanted to drive. I was thrilled and took the wheel of some random overseas Nissan model and... big ball breaker here... drove 40 kmh, which is quite slow. It was like being in driver's ed. She kept telling me the speed limit and appeared to desire her own set of breaks and gas and steering wheel on her side. But it was all gravy. I enjoyed it.

I also enjoyed a nice art exhibition with one installation the other night. An ornate display of delicately hung ceramic fragments formed a sphere with a white light bulb in the center. The effect of the inner light projected shadows of the hundreds of ceramic shrapnel all over the walls. With the possibility of walking through the sphere, it made serendipitous wind chyme noises that were accompanied by ambient background music. Above is a picture of this.

Now my Italian roomate Matia is making me dinner. Ciao.

No comments: