Monday, November 23, 2009

casi cuarto siglo




After starting a 3-round bout with a Spanish strain virus that went for the throat, I received a few days off from school, and took it upon myself to make massive batches of vegetable soup. I definitely wallowed in the doldrums for a few days, but more or less was a boss and wrecked the virus with the help of my "smooth, few bacteria killing antibiotics". Accompanied by my industrial-size bottle of Advil, borrowed movies and thermometers, and the beloved interwebz, I kicked the wannabe flu virus in a few days with time to spare preparing for guests.

My friend Carly from Appalachian State currently lives in Bilbao working under the exact program that I do. She brought two of her friends along for a weekend trip here to my beloved Logrono, and I was just in shape to keep up with the party girls from out of town. I made sure the pad was clean, and made more of the delicious soup; formed from chicken broth, potatoes, onions, mushrooms and carrots. It was just ready and steaming hot when I picked the girls up from the bus station. We settled in to converse about the Basque country, our program and origins. Tammy is from L.A., Ashley is from Wisconsin, and of course Carly from the wonderful state of North Carolina.

I took them out to Calle Laurel for pinchos and drinks, which turned into a late night at the bars. Ashley began talking to a random Frenchman who seemed like any other partier in Logrono, but was actually a smooth-talking public relations guide at a vineyard. I was in no shape to tell any difference and wasn't talking to him, but sure enough he came and picked us up the next morning at 10:30am for a free tour at the vineyard (Bodega). That was a bit painful, but the tour at Palacios Bodegas was absolutely legit, with a wine tasting and extensive history. The girls bought me a bottle of the Reserva 2003, and then we scaled a steep path to the beautiful pueblo of La Guardia. This town was a precious village on top of a mountain and kept within large stone walls. From a terrace on the edge of La Guardia there was a view of La Rioja that was amazing, and clouds of jittery birds were morphing in and out of ever-changing cloud like shapes in front of the wonderful scenery.

The tour and cold weather were tiring, and we had a long night ahead of us so, extensive naps took place before the fiesta. Around 9pm we kicked things off with chorizo, jamon serano, cheese, pizzas, bread and wine. People came and the wine count doubled. More people showed up and 6 countries were represented. I had happy birthday song to me in each of these country's mother tongues. It was amazing and I could not have asked for anything else. My house was full many interesting people and each corner hosted a different language. Marta made me a really cool painting, I got alcohol, food, and most importantly, the company of my friends.

Time to wind back down.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so cool. I miss you and Carly so much. I hope to be seeing you in Europe soon, I'm looking for work in Berlin!

T said...

I really hope that you do get to come! If so, you always have a place to stay here in Logrono.