Saturday, November 28, 2009

era una fiesta entre indios y conquistadores

white people from different countries
biscuit haters
I have now experienced my first Thanksgiving outside of the United States. My roommate planned a dinner via internetz and our house was the chosen location. I will change my text throughout this lecture and if you don't like it too bad, I want to see what they all look like... Ok. So the dinner itself wasn't anything close to what I am used to. There was no massive turkey. There was no massive ham. There were no biscuits, and there was no gravy. Stuffing? Nope. Webdings!!!!, <---(Ok no more Webdings) Apparently spiders are exclamation points.we b d i n g s ! ! ! ! So I missed the tasty home cooking that I am accustomed to, but nonetheless the party was great. I got honey baked ham cut into fat slices and crammed the ham into tasty croissants. My roommate made mashed potatoes. My other roommate bought cookies and then left. Some Spanish girls brought tortilla, and some kind of sweet doughballs. The rest of the dinner was comprised mainly of desserts as follows: Apple crumble and apple pie, mars bars or something like that which was really tasty, and of course you cant leave out the 3 plates of cheeses and meats that were amazing. Once again my house was a breeding ground for confusion between languages as Germans, Italians, Spanish, English and Americans alike carried on through the night and fueling themselves with wine and cheese.

Trebuchet! I am now launching words with what I think is a French word for a catapult, but as a text. I tought my classes about Thanksgiving, and they really didn't know anything about it. Something that really got my goat was the fact that the British have taught the Spanish that biscuits are cookies, and this is just wrong. I then showed them delicious looking biscuits with chicken and jelly and whatever else one likes to put on an "American biscuit". I definitely missed my home, friends, and family this week. I wish I could have been back home with everyone to get huge and fall asleep while watching football. But alas I found a way to have a good time here. Tonight I am going to a second T-day party, and this is being thrown by a bunch of girls so it is going to be proper. I am excited. They will have pumpkin pie, turkey, deviled eggs.
Ohhh it will be glorious.

No comments: