Saturday, December 19, 2009

It's not always sunny in Logroño



The north of Spain boasts many beaches, wineries, beautiful mountains and valleys, but what the people tend to boast in Rioja when they see us "white people" is how cold it gets. Typically after exclaiming that it is cold out, someone will reply that this isn't cold, and that everyone outside of Spain thinks that it is supposed to be warm all the time. I have seen such pride in a completely uncontrollable quotient such as the weather before. In fact, I even represent and defend myself when approached by these haughty Spaniards, by telling them that I lived in the mountains of North Carolina, and know how to prepare myself for and endure the cold. I am still waiting for the jamón, chorizo, queso and wine to give me the nice insulation in the belly that I will need to survive in this impressively cold climate.

That of course leads into another typical conversation I find myself in with my professors. This is quite international, but I like to call it my own here in Spain because it deals with kilograms instead of pounds. I want to gain some weight, right? All the teachers tell me is that in a few years, I will indeed gain this weight, whether or not I want it to mount on my frame. This is undoubtedly true, but I guess I want to get some muscle to really keep me warm and fit. Presumably this tuna salad sandwich and entire can of green peas I just ate before I go swimming will help in this process?

No comments: