Wednesday, September 23, 2009

time travel


Goodbye succelent American indulgence. Goodbye comfort blanket of home and hearth. Goodbye familiar faces and storefronts, chevy S-10 and Phil’s Citgo. Not solemnly, but satisfied I say see ya to all of these things, people and places before I leave them indefinitely.

Leaving quicker than I previously believed possible, I have already met friends. The chances were slim, and the fortune was great as a magnificent “small world” fantasy network wove itself together in the Raleigh Durham airport. A Canadian women told me how to get downtown, I told her I was going to Spain. A girl asked me if she’d heard correctly about Spain. Turns out she was going on the same program as myself. A guy asked both of us if we were indeed going on this program as he too would be embarking for Spain. We were instantly conncected and attached.

I told them of my plan to go into downtown Toronto, and with Alisha and Nate I forged my way into Canada’s largest city. Providing us with one of the bombest cab drivers ever (from Somalia) we had a quick ride into the city, where we started from scratch. The CN tower was in sight, but wildly expensive for a view. The ROM (Royal Ontario Museum) was a metro ride away, and had a wide variety of exhibits that were piddled through with our 6 hour adventure.

Not even realizing that we were out of the country already, we were returned Canadian dollars as change from our American monies. Used our last bit of change and headed back to the airport. Time to sleep on the ground, and have our last North American beers. Tomorrow, a new country, a new currency. Hasta la vista America.

1 comment:

I.C. Butera said...

Dude, stop cajoling europeans