Thursday, March 11, 2010

New travelers

Number 4 Calle Ciriaco Garrido Flat # 2b was the home-base last weekend for a pre-planned visit from my long lost twin - Collin, whom I met in Madrid randomly, share a job title with, and have since visited in his city of Oviedo. Since the trip from Oviedo to Logroño is quite a long one (6 hours), he got into the city at 1:30am, and was greeted by yours truly at the station. 


Undoubtedly a friend with a place to stay is quite standard, but I upped the ante and brought a tray with drank and power horse . Now mind you this is not your average energy drink, this one ranks in the upper echelon of terribly cheap and ridiculously named guarang phosphorous testosterone ginseng toting formulas. I showed Collin to a few of the frequented bars and met with friends for a good first night, which led into a nice touristic day of parks on a long walk around the city.


Did you know that hot and cold actually mix magnificently? Hot being thermal bath water divided into 3 stone walled pools each with a different temperature, and cold being the naked air above these riverside baths. We had the pleasure of going to these baths in Arnedillo. *Please click links to see the place as I did not bring my camera* We were four deep : Roddy the Scot (de guess where), Miguel the Salamander (de Salamanca), Collin the Duck (de Oregon), and me the Chameleon. It was an hour drive in Miguel's car through beautiful red rocked spires of earth to the tiny village tucked back into the mountains. It was almost dark when we got there, and navigating down a series of steps past handball courts, gardens, and official spas was quite difficult. We spent about 2.5 hours wallowing in the water, and found that for some reason the rocks at the bottom of the pools (which were about 3 feet deep) felt incredibly heavy, as if we were on another planet. My face was melted at the concept, and by the sure ecstasy and comfort of the water. You could feel the cold water coming in from the walls touching the river which was also an interesting experience. After spending an eternity there, and becoming quite pruny, we went home, made a tortilla, and I had a few friends over for a calm evening that sparked some of the most ridiculous conversations and internet videos I have ever been a part of. I was kicking my legs in the air like a dead bug and laughing so hard it hurt. GET IT TONE!!!!!!!!!


The next night was anything but calm. REALLY long story made fairly short - It was Chris's birthday, we went out for pinchos, I was separated from my friends in a freakish 5 minute time lapse, my phone died, I ended up wandering around with some derelict 18 year old student of mine, ran into Chris, but not Collin, and got home at 9am to find Collin sleeping in the hallway outside of my door, sans jacket. Nuts. 


Collin got on the bus and headed home the next afternoon. Convoluted is the proper word for all thoughts, actions, and representations of humanity attempted by me and Chris the next day, and then I did chores around the house like a zombie.


Collin and I had a blast, and kicked it OG style once again which was good.


APFA : After.Pinchos.Faces.Aqui.

Pinchos March
The young and the old, the good and the bad, all faithful to music and consumption will be seen on this path throughout the city of Logroño. The warmer it is, the less pavement you see.
         
Bar March
The search for good music, good beer, and good company after filling yourself with pinchos and wine, this is the 2cnd level of weekend evenings.           
Ali >     
Kebab March
The "Kebar", as I call it, is always the ultimate headquarters for the select clandestine bar dwellers who are hungry, want cheap food and beer, and have no other options as the bars are closed at the wee hours of the morning.





No comments: