Thursday, October 22, 2009

italian spaniards


BTW ^ THIS, is what comes up when you search cornucopia

I had lunch this afternoon at the house of one of my fellow teachers. Her name is Monica, and she is, in fact, not Spanish. From the small Northern village of Trento (? thats how I spelled it in my head), which is on the border of Austria and hosts two national languages (German and Italian), this wonderful mother of two cooked a fabulous dish of spaghetti a la carbonara. It was amazing.

To start of, we had salchichon(pig in a delicious salty form) and bread. Now I don't want to forget to mention that we uncorked a bottle of her husbands' home-made wine, which was created from a nearly extinct super old grape called Maturana. It was bottled in 2005; and had the nose of reduction and oak barrel, the taste of fruits, acid, and a smoky flavor, and the color of mature cherries. It was something I had never before tried.

After the hearty pasty dish I was offered cheeses, and chose a smooth, almost sweet "queso de cabra", or goat cheese which was covered in a paprika coating for conservation. After the cheese and much talk about a the cultural aspects of catholicism, I was offered cookies and coffee. Spain really is just awful, let me tell you. Full as could be, and ready for a nap, Monica took me home, and I will energize for the weekend with this pre-heated idea of a nap made real. joooodeerrrr. what will happen tonight?

ps. in 7 days, I will have a new roomate, who is italian and studies photography. super chulo.

No comments: