Monday, September 20, 2010

San Mateo

Here in the town of Logroño the festival of San Mateo has begun. This brings forth a week long episode of parades, concerts, food and wine tastings, fireworks, and the Riojan's most prideful patriotic celebration of the year. It is a celebration of the harvest of grapes to make wine, and begins with the "chupinazo" in the town hall square. The mayor shoots a firework into the sky, the people scream, and the streets are filled with thousands of people. I will try to load videos I took, and some pictures soon.

We don't have any of these sorts of festivals in the U.S., and this one is my first, so I am enjoying myself thoroughly. All day long, my house is filled with shouts from the people, beating of drums, and all sorts of other racket. Viva La Rioja - Viva Logroño - Viva San Mateo!!!

Below are some photos of the degustaciónes(tastings), pastries, people out on the town, performance artists, marching bands, and festivities... At the end is a video of "La quema de la cuba" - where they blow a bunch of stuff up in front of the town hall to signify the end of san mateo.















6 comments:

emily wright said...

this sounds awesome! Yay for San Mateo. Did you say Chupazo? does that have to do with downing lots of wine in one big chug? just a guess.
love ya Tee :)

Anonymous said...

Where are the pictures?

T said...

anonymous- they are coming today.

Anonymous said...

Tuna cans next to bottles of 3euro "ehseeemplie" wine next to a pack of ultra-heavy cigs?

Gotta be ehSpanish.

T said...

ehscore

Marloes said...

Were there parades also? I do miss the San Bernabe parades waking me up every morning. I like the "explosions" in front of my old house :( cant believe i missed them but def not as good as the fireworks for SB. See you in a month Tbaggage x