Friday, April 23, 2010

old visitors



Recently, my friend Meghan took the time, money, and sanity to make a trip over the Atlantic and see me. Miss Kearns is one of my oldest friends as I met her in the earlier developing years of the first grade at Speas Elementary on Polo Road. Speas Bees to the core.

Upon her arrival, I was still in the process of changing flats and didn't even have bed sheets in my new house, but I was happy to giver her a large bed to sleep on, and let her decompress from her trans-atlantic journey. While I don't really tend to find Logroño the most enthralling or visually appetizing city, to Meghan, it was a paradise of foreign sounds, smells, sights and tastes. We took my typical riverside route to the plaza del toros and the park by its side. Meghan made me sprint to the lookout tower, and I was not ready to this as she sprinted past me yelling, RACE YOU THERE! I could not turn down the immediate challenge, although I hesitated for a moment, and still ultimately won the race after giving her a head start. This ultimately tore all muscles away from my bones and gave my legs the impression that they had been stabbed with swords, thanks Meghan.



We dominated the city of Logroño during the day, and infiltrated the narrow streets to find that which lurked within each of the pincho bars in the casco viejo. An early night resulted as we took a bus to San Sebastian the next morning for a bit of Basque beach bumming. Sadly the skies cried tears of lament for the majority of the time, and it wasn't really warm enough or nice enough to get into the water or catch any serious supplements of vitamin D. The people in our hostel were surprisingly from Australia, Canada, Ireland, and the US. It was an English speaking fantasy world of pastas and mixed drinks. Meghan and Jordan (from Canada) stood by my side as we watched the massive waves crash on the barrier rocks that spearhead the northern coast outside of la concha, or beautiful bay area with a  massive semicircular beach. We stayed up late and bunked up like in college again, but in a much more interesting and beautiful city than Boone, NC. The mouth-watering displays of pinchos displayed in each bar were too much to handle. We ate as much as our wallets and stomachs would allow at La Mejillonería, Xingusht, Xespult, (I just made up those last two, but they were some crazy basque names). With the power of the moon and spririts below, we were given one day of nice weather, and made it a mission to climb to the top of the mountain with a magnificently gigantic statue of Jesus Christ – Our Lord and Savior. It was wicked, and we repented by humping cannons and getting lost in a castle. The next day we had one more round of pinchos, and I ran to the bus to leave for Barcelona, Meghan was on her own from there on, and had a great time with my friends and wandering in Madrid.
Yuju!

No comments: