Monday, February 8, 2010

La bicicleta part deux


Before arriving to Spain I had a beautiful vision of mounting a bicycle for the entirety of my stay here, hoping to zip about the northern wine country with unparalleled quickness and ease, but these dreams fell victim to a slow developed comfort zone and lack of funds. After approximately 5 months here in La Rioja, I decided to put my feelers out past the bike shops that I had encountered ( all of which had zero cheap or second hand bikes in their hands ) and hit up the people closer to me. As of now I am the owner of a wonderful feaux mountain bike that is absolutely practical and wonderful. While it grinds its own gears, and amongst those that it has, which are not clearly labeled on the shifters by any means, it has been getting me from point to point with a catalyzed quickness that is unquestionably joyous. I now get to the school, houses, and bars in a quarter of the time on foot, and do so with glee. Head on a swivel, I take to the busiest streets for quicker routes and break all traffic rules along the way. Red light = sidewalks, pedestrian crossing = me crossing, and 25 minute prior departure time = 5 minute prior departure time. All thanks are given to Margarita, who has supplied me with man's favorite machine ( or so I believe it to be). I have entered the most comfortable of all zones, and am now able to see the other side of the river, which is home to the bodegas and countryside, have seen more of the pueblo where I work, and can step outside of my own autonomous region to the Basque country for new language and beautiful countryside.
I am riding a nostalgic new high.

No comments: