Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Emerald Isle - I heart you

Since the day I was born, I have been subjected to annual trips to North Carolina shores during the first week of August. This year is no exception, but is much more nostalgic than before as I haven't even seen North Carolina for almost a year. The crashing waves and salty air are always the first to greet you as you cross the bridge to Emerald Isle and Morehead City, and there is almost nothing else I would love to be greeted by, ever.

On the way to the beach, my family and I also stop to see my uncles, have lunch, and walk around their farm before finishing the last leg of the drive to the coast. They have 2 beautiful horses, 2 insanely cute new dogs, a bevy of fruit and nut producing trees, grapevines, and an in-home theater - we always enjoy ourselves, to say the least. The perennial courtesy showed to us in their home makes the hour + lunch and farm tour a great opportunity to see family, rest our legs, and catch up on things.

I've made a pact with the devil that after arriving to any beach - I must enter the water within the first 30 minutes of being there. This being said, after pulling into the house, unpacking the car, I did just that. The water was more-or-less luke warm, and placid as a pond. I'd have preferred waves, but it was nice to feel the salty water hold my body calmly and aimlessly float about. The oceanfront is such a mesmerizing place. I find myself staring out into the deep, watching the waves crash, and thinking of nothing, and everything, all at the same time. Between the snow and the sea, I couldn't tell you which I enjoy more, but they both have a captivating hold over me that possibly is on par with transcendental meditation, or something crazy like that. 































2 comments:

I've been around. said...

From now on you're only allowed to post pictures of absurd closeups of animal faces with a fish-eye lens.

Emzz Wright said...

"thinking of nothing and everything at the same time" loves it.